On September 7, 2001, a new resolution was passed by the United Nations General Assembly to give the Day of Peace a fixed date and declare it as a global ceasefire day. That day was set to be September 21st. Just four days later on September 11, 2001, the World Trade Centers were attacked and Peace Days came and went without any ceasefires.
To commemorate this day I first of all Greet you on this occassion.
Coming back to Peace, surely there must be few things ringing in your mind as to what is the significance of following such days, when
- we cannot read the newspaper on a single day, without the news of violence in it.
- the rest of the world is plagued by other problems such as poverty, health related problems etc.
- we have inter and intra country wars for issues that are beyond reach of the common man.
- the youth of the country is devoid of jobs and is struck by recession.
- many innocent lives are taken away by a certain terrorist attack in some or the other part of the country.
This might seem overtly pessimistic but candidly writing, the common man doesn't even care about these sophisticated observation of days, given his sufferings. So,here lies the big question front of our society "how does one promote peace in the world ? "
World peace is now becoming day by day a major concern for all political leaders and governments due to its growing importance over other alarming factors such as climate change; it is, as it seems, useless to fight climatic changes and its consequences when war and racism prevails everywhere and hundreds of people are dying due to political instability, war and racism, which all form part of the factors acting against world peace. It is futile having a good temperate climate when terrorism, rioting and discrimination are striking in every corner of the globe and thousands of people are being killed. So, the great importance of world peace cannot be stressed enough.
So, it is my earnest request to not only observe peace day on 21st of September each year, but to take necessary steps which would promote Peace within an Individual, City, the Nation and the World.
Happy International Peace Day !!! :)